Here's what you should know about Canvas. Before you get started:
Canvas Data is a flatfile download of historical data within the Canvas databases; how often it is updated is determined by the client-Canvas agreement. In addition, per Canvas protocol, Canvas Data must be queried at least once every two weeks to remain connected.
In order for the processing of reports and analytics to visualize at an acceptable speed, IntelliBoard integrates with Canvas Data and duplicates selected data points to IntelliBoard servers under Client account authentication. No other clients can access that data set, and each data set is located in a specific location assigned to that specific client, similar to how Canvas and other entities segregate server data with the highest security possible. No direct access to data exists, other than through the IntelliBoard application itself.
Recently, IntelliBoard introduced filters for Canvas for the purpose of limiting the size of the data copied to IntelliBoard storage. If clients choose to view data for 1 year only, then the dataset is copied for that year only.
IntelliBoard uses API access and processes Canvas Data, authenticated by Canvas. Only Canvas Partners have access to the Canvas API and Canvas Data processing. IntelliBoard is a Canvas partner.
IntelliBoard is certified by Privacy Shield, (https://www.privacyshield.gov/program-overview), which monitors our actions to GDPR standards. IntelliBoard was approved in December, 2018, and will undergo the required annual review henceforth.
When we store data (Canvas) it is stored in IntelliBoard’s iHub which is on Amazon Web Services.
HOW TO CONNECT INTELLIBOARD TO CANVAS LMS
Step 1: Creating an IntelliBoard account
Create an account at https://app.intelliboard.net/signin.
Note: you may use a full guide HERE.
Note: Canvas connection is now available for all servers.
Step 2: Creating Canvas Connection
Settings + Options > Servers > + Add New > Canvas Connection
- Log in to IntelliBoard
- Click Settings + Options > Servers > + Add New > Canvas Connection
- Name your LMS and add your Canvas URL
- Keep this tab open
Step 3: Working from the Canvas side
Admin > Developer Keys > + Developer Key > +API Key
- In another tab, log in to your Canvas LMS with admin credentials
- Go to the Admin > Developer Keys > + Developer Key > +API Key
- Return to IntelliBoard, on the “Add Connection” screen find and copy the Redirect URIs
- In your Canvas LMS, use the Redirect URIs to create a New Developer Key. Name the Key and paste the URIs into the Redirect URIs field. Save Key
- Find the newly created Key in the list and turn ON
- Copy the Client ID listed under Details and Client Secret Key
Note: the Secret Key is hidden by default, click Show Key to access it.
Step 4: Completing the creation of the Canvas Connection
- Back to the IntelliBoard tab, paste the Client ID and Client Secret Key. Save your Connection
- Return to Canvas, and click Admin and then click Canvas Data Portal
NOTE: If you do not see Canvas Data Portal please reach out to a member of your CSM team. They will need to enable your Canvas Data Portal. Also, please find here more information about how to use your Canvas Data Portal.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Create Credentials
- Credentials will appear; note them and return to IntelliBoard > Settings + Options > Servers
- Add Canvas Data API Key and Canvas Data API Secret to the existing IntelliBoard Canvas connection. You should get all green check marks
- Click Save
- You will be prompted to authorize IntelliBoard in your Canvas LMS, click Authorize
Step 5: Finalize Connection with Canvas Data
- Under Settings + Options > Servers > [Canvas Connection] you'll get all possible settings for the Connection. You can set them up now or any time you want. Please, find descriptions for all of them below:
- Click Save
- Click on the created connection
- Click Refresh Canvas Data and let it process
You are now connected and ready to see YOUR Canvas LMS data. Return to the Platform to view your Dashboard, pull reports and build Monitors!
How often is my data updated in IntelliBoard? Is there a delay with my Canvas connection?
The data, IntelliBoard displays from Canvas, is populated by two connections: API and Canvas Data. The predominate connection utilizes cached data from Canvas Data to allow for faster processing speeds. This cached data is automatically refreshed every 24 hours by IntelliBoard.
Canvas Data is updated by the Canvas system regulated by your Canvas-client agreement, and can be 24 hours +/-. The API data is live; you'll see this in IntelliBoard as "Load Data," typically, "time spent" and "visits."
For additional assistance, please email helpdesk@IntelliBoard.net.