This is the first step of InForm usage. This point describes how to create a new table in the database where your future data will be stored, and make relations with existing LMS tables. There are 2 ways you could create a table:
- Manually (data will need to be added from the form - see InForm Form Creation of article to learn how to create a form and enter data there)
- By importing from the file (with some existing data)
The process of importing InForm table consists of 3 steps:
- File creation.
- Assigning relations.
EXAMPLE: Find Table Importing + “Belong To” Relation (coming soon) article for the use case of using this functionality.
Importing could be done for files in CSV (Comma separated) and Excel formats. If the Excel document consists of several sheets that you want to import to InForm table, you’ll need to import them one-by-one, because you are allowed to import only one file sheet per time.
Click HERE to read how to prepare the file.
The 1st line of the imported file must contain Column Names.
Starting from the 2nd line, the file must contain data corresponding to the columns from the 1st line.
- Go to Apps > InForm
- Click “Import File”
- You’ll be directed to the Importing History page where you could review and delete (tick the box near the record and select deleting from “Actions”) all your previously imported files.
NOTE: Deleting records here won’t remove already imported data.
- Click “Import File” to go to importing page.
- From “InForm Table” drop-down choose “New table” option.
From here you could also import the data to some already existing table by selecting one from the list. In this case, the number of columns in the file and their names must be the same as in the initial table. E.g., you have a table with 2 columns– Student ID, and Pet, - and you want to import new records to this table. In this case, you should prepare a file that will also contain 2 columns with the same names.
NOTE: Letters’ case could be different. E.g., column in the existing table could be written as “Student ID”, and the file you’re importing could contain “student id” column name.
- Enter the Table Title. (This won’t appear if you import it into an existing table.)
- Select between "File" and "SFTP" under the drop-down menu of "Import Type".
NOTE: If you import from SFTP, you'll be asked to choose SFTP connection and write the path to the file.
- Choose (or drag and drop) the file from your computer.
- Click “Next”.
- If you import from a CSV file, it brings you to the page of Table Configuration.
If you import from an Excel file, you must select the sheet you want to import first (as described above), and after clicking “Import” you will be directed to the Table Configuration page.
- On the Table Configuration page you can edit column names and types.
Click HERE for more information of data types.
- Click “Save” to upload the file and create an InForm table.
- Go back to Apps > InForm
- For newly created table, click 3 dots from Actions, and select Edit
- Scroll down to “Table Relations” block and assign relations with the existing table(s), if needed.
See Table Relations point of this article to find descriptions of all possible table relations.
For additional assistance, please email HelpDesk@IntelliBoard.net.